At the international symposium "Return to Europe - Talking Balkans", organised by ERSTE Foundation and ORF RadioKulturhaus, the first season of the TV documentary "Balkan Express" was announced. This film series will be broadcast on 3sat (starting 27 April 2008) and ORF (autumn 2008).
It is based on ESI research and features many places, topics and people that have been subject of ESI reports. The stories were developed in cooperation with ESI analysts.
International representatives of politics, culture, business and science discussed the "Balkan concept" on 3 - 4 April 2008. In addition to exclusive clips from the documentary series, the programme also featured examples of video art from the region.
Speakers included, among others, Alfred Gusenbauer (Federal Chancellor of Austria), Erhard Busek (Special Coordinator, Stability Pact, Austria), Slavenka Drakulic (author, Croatia), Migjen Kelmendi (Journalist, Kosovo), Ivan Krastev (Political scientist, Centre for Liberal Strategies, Bulgaria), Tim Judah (journalist, BBC, The Economist, UK), Ivan Vejvoda (Executive Director, Balkan Trust for Democracy, Serbia), Alida Vracic (Director, Populari, Bosnia & Herzegovina), and Erion Veliaj (ESI Analyst, Albania).
- Return to Europe documentary project on ESI's website
- ERSTE Foundation information on the symposium
- Der Standard supplement (website / PDF)
- Interview with Gerald Knaus: "Ghetto durch Visapflicht" / "A European Visa-Ghetto" (part of the supplement in Der Standard)
- "Erstaunen, begeistern, informieren" - Ein Gespräch mit ESI über Balkanexpress. Also available in English: "To amaze, inspire, and excite" - A conversation about Return to Europe with ESI