ESI's Gerald Knaus spoke on visa-free travel at a round table discussion organised by Europe without Barriers in Kyiv.
Promoting the idea of visa-free movement in Europe certainly lacks its appropriate advancement tools. Often advocacy activities are carried out in a spontaneous manner without proper prior planning and articulation of professional arguments. In the event the initiators discussed the ideological as well as technical content of the campaign on visa-free movement in Europe; how to strengthen "positive" argumentation in favor of visa abolishment; how to formulate alternative approaches for the "freedom of movement – public security" dilemma resolution in its economic, legal, ethical, cultural and political dimensions. In particular, these issues were discussed:
- Ukraine as migration-secure country: myth or reality?
- Experts view on possible risks and benefits of the free movement of people.
- How to "reach" the EU institutions, responsible for the visa liberalisation process?
- "Home tasks" and its performance: what is a good way to present in the EU Member States?
- Which arguments in favor of visa-free travel are important for civil society, media, and decision-makers?
ESI's Balkan analysis is also widely disseminated through the Visa-free Europe Coalition of which ESI is also a member of. The Coalition brings together analysts and civil society in eastern Europe.
Full text of the Invitation