Thursday, June 22, 2017, 18:00-21:00
Schumannstr. 8, 10117 Berlin
Political activities of the opposition, critical journalism and independent activism have no space in Azerbaijan. Many human rights defenders are arrested and their activities and funding options are lacking a legal basis.
Azerbaijan's government continues to wage a vicious crackdown on critics and dissenting voices. The release of some wrongly-imprisoned human rights defenders, activists, and journalists in 2016 did not lead to a shift in the government’s punitive attitude towards independent activists and groups. According to Human Rights Watch Azerbaijani’s international partners have failed to demand human rights improvements, in contrast their financial funding of the Azerbaijani’s government, including the extractive industries, would increase, regardless of the precarious situation on human rights.
- Anar Mammadli, former political prisoner, human rights activist, Baku
- Gerald Knaus, European Stability Initiative (ESI)
- Rebecca Vincent, Reporter Without Borders (RSF), UK Bureau
- Berit Lindeman, Helsinki Committee, Norway
Moderation: Walter Kaufmann, head of Eastern and Southeastern Division of Heinrich Boell Foundation.
Eastern and Southeastern Division
Heinrich Boell Foundation
- ESI newsletter: The phoenix and the black knight in Strasbourg – three things to do now (5 June 2017)
- ESI newsletter: Merchants of Doubt or investigating Corruption (21 April 2017)
- ESI: Open letter to PACE members: backing Sawicki – how to investigate corruption in Strasbourg (27 March 2017)
- ESI newsletter: The FIFA of human rights – beyond lip-service on anti-corruption (18 January 2017)
- ESI report: The European Swamp (Caviar Diplomacy Part 2) – Prosecutors, corruption and the Council of Europe (17 December 2016)
- Report (RAI 3): Caviar Democracy (21 November 2016)
- ESI paper: A Portrait of Deception. Monitoring Azerbaijan or why Pedro Agramunt should resign (22 January 2013)
- ESI, "Caviar Diplomacy. How Azerbaijan silenced the Council of Europe", 24 May 2012.
- ESI publications on Caviar Diplomacy, prosecutors, corruption and the Council of Europe