This section gives a small selection of documents on regional developments in the Western Balkans. The World Bank's Road to Stability and Prosperity in South Eastern Europe: A Regional Strategy Paper set out the economic strategy for the Stability Pact in 2000. The Bank report Transition: The First Ten Years – Analysis and Lessons for Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union gives an overview of lessons learned in transition economies in the wider region. The Western Balkans in Transition is an occasional paper produced by the European Commission's Directorate-General for Economic and Financial Affairs, and reviews macroeconomic conditions across the region. Ivan Krastev's Inflexibility Trap is one of a number of interesting discussion papers produced by the Centre for Liberal Strategies in Sofia, one of the region's leading thinktanks.
- Economist Intelligence Unit: Economies in Transition: Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union, Regional Overview, March 2003
- European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD): Law in Transition, Special addition on South-Eastern Europe, Spring 2002
- European Economy/European Commission - Occasional Papers: The Western Balkans in Transition, January 2003
- European Institute/CEPS: A Comprehensive Trade Policy Plan for the Western Balkans: A bold initiative to bring more stability and prosperity to south eastern Europe, 2000
- Krastev, Ivan: The Inflexibility Trap: Frustrated Societies, Weak State and Democracies, February 2002
- World Bank (WB): The Road to Stability and Prosperity in South Eastern Europe: A Regional Strategy Paper, March 2000
- World Bank (WB): Transition: The First Ten Years - Analysis and Lessons for Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union, 2002
This Resource Kit is also available in Bosnian/Croat/Serbian.