As one of its founding members Gerald joined the launch of the European Council on Foreign Relations. The ECFR is to promote a more integrated European foreign policy in support of shared European interests and values. With a policy team in seven capitals – London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Sofia, Madrid and Warsaw – it unites some of the continent's most distinguished researchers and analysts to promote Europe's role in the world.
17.10.07 - Wall Street Journal
"The most compelling reason for supporting the Reform Treaty is the fact that it could help the EU become a more effective power in the world.” writes Mark Leonard in an opinion piece.
11.10.07 - Spiegel Online
"At the moment, we don't have one European policy towards Russia, we have five different ones.” Interview with founding member Timothy Garton Ash.
- Urban Ahlin (Sweden) Deputy Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee; foreign policy spokesperson for the Social Democratic Party
- Martti Ahtisaari (Finland) UN Special Envoy for the Future Status Process for Kosovo; President of the Crisis Management Initiative; former President
- Giuliano Amato (Italy) Minister of Interior; former Prime Minister and vice president of the European Convention
- Hannes Androsch (Austria) Founder of AIC Androsch International Management Consulting
- Marek Belka (Poland) Executive Director of the UN Economic Commission for Europe; former Prime Minister
- Svetoslav Bojilov (Bulgaria) Founder of the Communitas Foundation and President of Venture Equity Bulgaria Ltd.
- Emma Bonino (Italy) Minister for Europe and International Trade; former European Commissioner
- Robert Cooper (United Kingdom) Director General for External and PoliticoMilitary Affairs, Council of the EU General Secretariat
- Marta Dassù (Italy) Diplomatic adviser to Foreign Minister Massimo D'Alema; Director of the Aspen Institute Italia
- Gijs de Vries (The Netherlands) Senior Fellow at the Clingendael Institute; former EU Counterterrorism Coordinator
- JeanLuc Dehaene (Belgium) Member of the European Parliament, former Prime Minister and vice president of the European Convention
- Gianfranco Dell'Alba (Italy) Chef de Cabinet for Minister Emma Bonino
- Andrew Duff (United Kingdom) Member of the European Parliament, ALDE
- Sarmite Elerte (Latvia) Editorinchief of Latvian daily newspaper Diena
- Brian Eno (United Kingdom) musician and producer
- Joschka Fischer (Germany) Former Foreign Minister and viceChancellor
- Timothy Garton Ash (United Kingdom) Professor of European Studies at Oxford University
- Bronislaw Geremek (Poland) Member of the European Parliament, ALDE; former Foreign Minister
- Diego Hidalgo (Spain) Cofounder of Spanish newspaper El País and President of FRIDE
- Mary Kaldor (United Kingdom) Professor and Director of the Centre for the Study of Global Governance, London School of Economics
- Gerald Knaus (Germany) Founding director of the European Stability Initiative
- Caio KochWeser (Germany) Vice Chairman of the Deutsche Bank Group; former State Secretary.
- Rem Koolhaas (The Netherlands) architect and urbanist; Professor at the Graduate School of Design at Harvard University
- Ivan Krastev (Bulgaria) Chair of Board, Centre for Liberal Strategies in Sofia, Bulgaria
- Mart Laar (Estonia) Former Prime Minister of Estonia
- Mark Leonard (United Kingdom) Executive Director of the European Council on Foreign Relations
- Adam Lury (United Kingdom) Director of Menemsha Ltd; former advisor to Lord Browne
- Alain Minc (France) Chairman of Le Monde; Head of consulting group AM Conseil
- Christine Ockrent (Belgium) Editorinchief at France Télévision.
- Leoluca Orlando (Italy) MP; President of the Sicilian Renaissance Institute
- Cem Özdemir (Germany) Member of the European Parliament, Green Party
- Simon Panek (Czech Republic) Chairman of the People in Need Foundation
- Teresa Patricio Gouveia (Portugal) Trustee to the Board of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation; former Foreign Minister
- Chris Patten (United Kingdom) Chancellor of Oxford University; Former EU Commissioner and Governor of Hong Kong
- Diana Pinto (France) Historian and author
- Andrew Puddephatt (United Kingdom) Director of Global Partners & Associated Ltd.
- Sigrid Rausing (United Kingdom) Founder of the Sigrid Rausing Trust
- Albert Rohan (Austria) Deputy to the UN Special Envoy for the Future Status Process for Kosovo
- Pierre Schori (Sweden) Director General of FRIDE; and SRSG to Cote d´Ivoire
- Narcís Serra (Spain) Chair of CIDOB Foundation; former Vice President
- Elif Shafak (Turkey) Writer
- Aleksander Smolar (Poland) Chairman of the Board, Stefan Batory Foundation
- George Soros (Hungary/US) Chairman, Open Society Institute
- Dominique StraussKahn (France) MP, Professor at the Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris; Former Finance Minister
- Helle Thorning Schmidt (Denmark) Leader of the Social Democratic Party
- Michiel Van Hulten (The Netherlands) Managing Director of BursonMarsteller, Brussels; Former MEP and chairman of the Dutch Labour Party
- Mabel Van Oranje (The Netherlands) International Advocacy Director, Open Society Institute
- Antonio Vitorino (Portugal) Lawyer and former European Commissioner
- Sir Stephen Wall (United Kingdom) Chairman of Hill and Knowlton (Public Affairs EMEA) and former Europe advisor to PM Tony Blair
- Andre Wilkens (Germany) Executive Director of the Open Society Institute in Brussels