Please do no longer apply, applications have closed!
The European Stability Initiative (ESI) announces its
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
For research with ESI in Croatia
The European Stability Initiative (ESI) is a non-profit research and policy institute, created in recognition of the need for independent, in-depth analysis of the complex issues involved in promoting stability and prosperity in Europe. In its eleven years of operation, ESI has won a reputation as one of Europe's leading think tanks on the issues of enlargement and developments in South Eastern Europe, including Turkey. Its advice is sought regularly by a range of policy makers across the region.
The European Stability Initiative (ESI) has been involved in South-Eastern Europe ever since its founding in 1999, and has produced a range of reports on Bosnia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia. ESI has not previously worked in Croatia. The current call for applications is a 3-month contract, initially, spanning from mid-April until July 2011, to support research for a report and documentary film about Croatia.
The aim of ESI's research in Croatia is to study the remarkable transformation that Croatian society has undergone since 1999, its confrontation with the legacy of war in the 1990s, and its road to joining NATO and negotiating membership within the European Union. The documentary film and report would seek to understand how the outlook of Croatia's elites has changed in the past two decades, and what the impact on society has been. The aim is to explain Croatia's transformation to a wider European audience of decision makers and opinion leaders.
The salary for this position will depend on the experience of the successful candidate.
At the first stage the applicants are required to submit:
- Letter of motivation
- Written sample of previous research-based writing (in English).
The deadline for submission of these materials is 31 March 2011. Selected candidates will be contacted and invited to interviews during which detailed information about the nature of the work ahead will be provided by the ESI team.
Requirements for the interested applicants are as follows:
- Experience in conducting empirical field research
- Fluency in Croatian and English;
- Strong motivation and ability to conduct independent research (partly alone with guidance of other ESI staff members, partly in a team)
- Strong writing skills are an asset
Please note that
- All documents submitted to European Stability Initiative throughout the whole research period should be in English, though the notes from the interviews conducted in Croatian should also be included;
- Researchers would be expected to spend time in Zagreb and might also be required to travel within Croatia for conducting field research.
Applications should be submitted in English by e-mail to ESI at the following address: email@example.com
We are looking forward to receiving your applications.