28 July 2016
Istanbul – ESI seminar on ongoing projects and future research
ESI staff and a few external guests met for a seminar on the island of BŁyŁkada near Istanbul (28-30 July) to discuss ongoing ESI projects and future research. Issues debated were:
- EU enlargement in the times of the refugee crisis and Brexit: Does the accession process still motivate reform?
- EU leverage assessed: Turkey, Macedonia, Bosnia (case studies)
- Progress Reports – how to improve the EU's key tool?
- Non-refoulement, asylum and border control: Is there a red line between serious and farcical asylum status determination?
- Border case studies and their implications (Turkey-Greece, Turkey-Bulgaria, Serbia-Hungary, Ukraine-Poland, Ukraine-Slovakia, Russia-Norway)
- Writing for impact