"If Turkey, governed by the AKP, became a full EU-member, it would not only be a burden, but also a handicap for the integration of Turks in Europe as European citizens."
(Bassam Tibi, "Mit dem Kopftuch nach Europa?", p. 83)
Bassam Tibi is a political scientist of Syrian origin born in 1944. He taught at universities worldwide, including the University of Gottingen and Cornell, and published a number of books on Islam, Turkey and integration.
One of his most recent contributions to the German debate on Turkey is a book published in 2005: "Mit dem Kopftuch nach Europa?" ("With the headscarf to Europe?") There he argues that the Muslim headscarf is the symbol of an Islamic political orientation, which is gaining ground both in Turkey and among Turkish migrants in Germany.
The headscarf is central to his argument:
"The fact that the AKP is a
- Bassam Tibi, Europeanisation, not Islamisation, signandsight, 22 March 2007
- Interview with Bassam Tibi in Spiegel Online, Europeans Have Stopped Defending Their Values, 10 Febraury 2006. Tibi writes about the weakness of Europe: "Europeans have stopped defending the values of their civilization. They confuse tolerance with relativism."
Books in English:
- Bassam Tibi, Political Islam, World Politics and Europe, December 2007
- Bassam Tibi, The Challenge of Fundamentalism: Political Islam and the New World Disorder, August 2002
- Bassam Tibi, Islam Between Culture and Politics, February 2002
- Bassam Tibi, Islam and the Cultural Accommodation of Social Change, October 1991
Books in German
On political developments in Turkey::
- Bassam Tibi, Mit dem Kopftuch nach Europa? Die Turkei auf dem Weg in die Europaische Union, June 2007
- Bassam Tibi, Aufbruch am Bosporus: Die Turkei zwischen Europa und dem Islamismus, 1998
on Islam and fundamentalism:
- Bassam Tibi, Die islamische Herausforderung. Religion und Politik im Europa des 21. Jahrhunderts, 2008
- Bassam Tibi, Im Schatten Allahs. Der Islam und die Menschenrechte, 2002
- Bassam Tibi, Fundamentalismus im Islam: Eine Gefahr fur den Weltfrieden?, 2000
On integration and multiculturalism:
- Bassam Tibi, Islamische Zuwanderung. Die gescheiterte Integration, March 2002
- Bassam Tibi, Der Islam und Deutschland. Muslime in Deutschland, October 2000
- Bassam Tibi, Europa ohne Identitat? Die Krise der multikulturellen Gesellschaft., April 2000
- Homepage Bassam Tibi
- Gale Reference Team, Biography - Tibi, Bassam (1944-): An article from: Contemporary Authors Online, December 2007
Bassam Tibi's role in the "mainstream debate" is analysed (in German) here:
- Sascha Herrmann, Die Leitkulturdebatte - Von Bassam Tibi's Beitrag zur Integration von Migranten zum Unwort des Jahres, November 2007.
One book about Bassam Tibi's theories: