ESI's Gerald Knaus was presenter at a session on the "Geopolitics of refugees" at this year's Aspen Ministers Forum in Oslo ("Blurred borders: The Migrant Crisis") to debate the refugee crisis and possible solutions.
This year's speakers included Filippo Grandi, High Commissioner United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Fabrice Leggeri, Executive Director Frontex, and Fabrizio Hochschild, Deputy to the Special Adviser on the Summit on Addressing Large Movements of Refugees and Migrants, United Nations, among others.
The meeting was chaired by former US Secretary of State, Madeleine Albright. 20 former foreign ministers from around the world participated, among others, Joschka Fischer (Germany), Alexander Downer (Australia), and Abdullah Gül (Turkey).
- The Merkel-Samson Plan – www.esiweb.org/refugees
- ESI in Vienna: Workshop and public event with Madeleine Albright: Global Responsibility. Europe, the US and the Refugee Crisis (18 April 2016)
- Carnegie Europe: "The Refugee Policy the EU Needs Today" (15 April 2016)
- Rumeli Observer: What happened on 6 March when Davutoglu met Merkel? (12 April 2016)
- ESI policy proposal: Why people don't need to drown in the Aegean (17 September 2015)
- ESI policy proposal: The Merkel Plan – A proposal for the Syrian refugee crisis (4 October 2015)