ESI's Gerald Knaus went to Paris for this year's ECFR Annual Council Meeting. Issues discussed were European defence prospects; stabilising the Middle East; challenges over global trade wars; options on an EU-UK security partnership post Brexit; and the need to reinvent the EU's relationships with the world outside – Russia, Turkey, US and China – and with its own citizens and states at home.
While in Paris, Gerald had several meetings on migration and asylum policy, including with the Centre d'action sociale de la Ville de Paris (CASVP), Human Rights Watch (HRW), and at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; also on the Western Balkans.
- ESI newsletter: Macron, Italy and the mirage of mass return (18 March 2018)
- ESI core facts: The Italian Magnet – Deaths, arrivals and returns in the Central Mediterranean (13 March 2018)
- Refugees Deeply, John Dalhuisen Gerald Knaus, How Italy Can Combine Migration Control With Human Rights (13 March 2018)
- ESI paper: "Amsterdam in the Mediterranean" – How a Dutch-style asylum system can help resolve the Mediterranean refugee crisis (26 January 2018
- ESI proposals for the refugee crises in the Central Mediterranean and the Aegean: www.esiweb.org/refugees
- Media reactions to ESI refugee proposals