On the occasion of their joint discussion paper "Utopian visions - Governance failures in Kosovo's capital", the Kosovar think tank Iniciativa Kosovare per Stabilitët (IKS) and ESI organized a public discussion in the Kosovo Museum in the heart of Pristina's old town.
IKS and ESI identified severe governance failures in Pristina and presented a critique of an urban plan known as 'Strategy 2020'. According to IKS and ESI, the current approach is characterised by "utopian planning" and fails to address problems ranging from rampant illegal construction, deteriorating infrastructure and unreliable municipal services. Current planning is also based on 'utopian' numbers, such as highly exaggerated population figures for the town.
IKS director Besa Shahini and ESI senior analyst Verena Knaus were joined by Ismet Beqiri, Mayor of Pristina Municipality and Ardian Gjini, Minister of Environment and Spatial Planning as discussants. The discussion was attended by more than 90 participants and has provoked numerous reactions in local and international media.
- Kosova Sot, "Plani i mirë duhet të jetë edhe I zbatueshëm" (9 June 2006) . Also available in English: "A good plan must also be feasible"
- Lajm, "Prishtina, vetëm emrin e ka kryeqytet" (10 June 2006). Also available in English: "Pristina, capital city only by name"
- Iliria Post, "Ka filluar realizimi i 'Planit Stratgjikë Zhvillimor i Prishtinës'" (10 June 2006). Also available in English: "The Implementation of the 'Strategic Development Plan of Pristina' has started"
- Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, "Prishtina, ein balkanischer Vorort von Utopia" (13 June 2006). Also available in English: "Pristina, a Balkan suburb of Utopia".
- Express, "Vizionet Utopike" (15 June 2006)
- Lajm, "Utopi apo realitet?" (26 June 2006). Also available in English: "Utopia or reality?".