"I consider the planned construction [of the mosque in Koln-Ehrenfeld] as deeply hostile to integration…. Together with critical Muslims I have brought into discussion a problem which cowardly politicians have suppressed …. "
Ralph Giordano, born in 1923, is a well known German writer who argues strongly that the integration of German Muslims has failed. This, he explains, is due to the very nature of Islam. It would therefore be inappropriate for Germans to allow the construction of too many mosques.
In an open letter published in August 2007 Giordano wrote about the "Fata Morgana of a reconcilability of the two cultures" (i.e. Western culture and Islam). In 2007 he emerged as one of the leading voices fighting the construction of the future central mosque of DITIB (Turkish-Islamic Union of the Office for Religious Affairs) in Cologne. He is one of the founders of the "Critical Islam Conference", which held a first congress in May 2008.
The city of Cologne is home to a about 64,000 Turks. The previous main mosque could only hold up to 600 worshippers. The plans for the whole mosque foresee space for more than 2,000 people.
Design of new Cologne mosque
Giordano regards the mosque as a symbol of "a creeping Islamisation" of the country. In an open letter to DITIB he argued:
"The problem is not the mosque, it is Islam. The essential question is: is Islam compatible with democracy, human rights, pluralism, enlightenment and the critical method? … I read the Koran and was left speechless. … I am wondering how anybody for whom the Koran
On the Cologne Mosque controversy:
- Der Spiegel, Go-Ahead for Germany's Biggest Mosque, 29 August 2008
- International Herald Tribune, Cologne approves mosque over far right's objections, 29 August 2008
- Der Spiegel, Far-Right Mobilizes against Cologne Mega-Mosque, 19 June 2007
By Ralph Giordano:
- Die Welt, Ralph Giordano: Die Gutmenschen und die dunklen Seiten des Islam (19 September 2010)
- Die Welt, Ralph Giordano: Wider die Kreidefresser (4 September 2010)
- Ralph Giordano, Gruselkabinett Türkei (Turkey – a chamber of horror), Die Welt, 11 October 2008. In a review of Necla Kelek's new book "Bittersweet home country" Giordano notes: "This is a settling of old scores with Turkey, which is refusing fundamental democratization and secularization of society and cannot emancipate itself from either Ataturk or the prophet."
- Ralph Giordano and Wolfgang Schauble discuss the Integration of Muslims in Germany: Mir macht Angst, dass Sie so viel Verstaendnis haben (I am frightened that you show so much sympathy), www.faz.net, 2 March 2008. Giordano criticizes the German Islam Conference and Schauble's optimism concerning integration: "The Turkish dominated Muslim community in Germany cannot be integrated as a collective."
- Die Geschichte des Islam ist eine einzige Entwurdigung der Frau - Interview with Ralph Giordano, Deutschlandfunk, 23 May 2007
- Ralph Giordano, Stoppt den Bau dieser Moschee, Kolner Stadt-Anzeiger, 16 May 2007. He writes: "Stop constructing the mosque. It is a wrong signal. The truth is that the integration of the Muslim minority in Germany has failed."
- Ralph Giordano, Nein und drei mal nein, FAZ, 1 June 2007
- Ralph Giordano, letter to Bekir Alboga, DITIB, 2007
- Bekir Alboga and Ralph Giordano discuss the construction of the mosque in Cologne, "Streit im Turm", Kolner Stadtanzeiger, 16 May 2007
The German debate