Rome – "War and Peace … in Europe and the Balkans" - ESI lecture at the Nato Defence College
ESI's Gerald Knaus gave an online lecture on the Western Balkans at the NATO Defence College in Rome. He analysed NATO and EU intervention policies in the region and examined possible future roles and developments for both NATO and the EU. In addition, Gerald provided an analysis of expectations by Western Balkans countries towards other international key actors and an overview of the political, social, and economic issues and dynamics in the region. He also talked about lessons from past interventions in the Balkans and associated risks.
After his presentation, Gerald participated in an online Q&A with students from the NATO Defence College in Rome.
- "Escaping the Hamster Wheel: For a reformed, merit-based EU accession process that offers a credible interim goal"
- "Abandon clichés about Bosnia: Push EU-related reforms instead of arbitrary conditions"
- "Start EU accession talks with North Macedonia: Keep your word. Strengthen reformers"
- "No partition: Why Kosovo and Serbia must not discuss territory"
- "Anti-Corruption Report for the West Balkans: Measure corruption in order to fight it"
- "How to teach war in the Balkans? For a comprehensive analysis of 20th century history textbooks"