Istanbul – ESI at panel on the 5th anniversary of the EU-Turkey Statement
ESI’s Gerald Knaus participated in a panel discussion on the EU-Turkey Statement organised by the Economic Development Foundation (IKV) and the Academy of the Research Center on Asylum and Migration (IGAM). He assessed the implementation of the Statement and focused on migration management from the EU to third countries and how Turkey has politicised the migration issue. Gerald also explained why a renewed Statement is urgently needed.
Opening speeches were given by Ayhan Zeytinoglu (IKV President) and Metin Çorabatir (IGAM President). A keynote speech was also given by Ambassador Faruk Kaymakci (Deputy Minister of Forein Affairs, Director for EU Affairs).
Halil Afsarata (Chief Foreign Affairs Advisor to the Vice President / Chief Coordinator of the FRIT Funds) and Ambassador Nikolaus Meyer-Landrut (Head of the EU Delegation to Turkey) discussed the EU Facility for Refugees in Turkey (FRIT).
Other panellists were Murat Erdogan (IGAM Academy President, Turkish-German University), Laura Batalla Adam (Secretary General of EU-Turkey Forum), Çiğdem Nas (Secretary General of IKV / Yıldız Technical University), Howard Duncan (Carleton University, former Chair International Metropolis) and Kemal Kirisci (IGAM Academy Vice-President / Brookings Institution). Gökhan Kilit (Deputy Secretary General of IKV) and Nihal Eminoglu (IGAM Academy Coordinator, Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University) moderated the debate.
- ESI proposals website: EU-Turkey Statement 2.0
- ESI draft of a revised EU-Turkey Statement 2.0, 16 March 2021
- Anadolu Agency, Humane borders, control through cooperation possible: Turkey, EU can show the way, 26 March 2021
- Tagesschau: The EU-Turkey Agreement five years on - Success or failure?, 18 March 2021
- Berliner Zeitung: Merkel advisor Knaus: Resettle refugees directly to Germany 17 March 2021