Visby – ESI at the Visby Conference: The order and disorder of Europe’s East
ESI’s Gerald Knaus was invited to a roundtable at the annual Visby Conference on “The Order and Disorder of Europe’s East”.
Gerald argued that EU accession talks need to start under the Swedish EU presidency in 2023 and at the same time NATO talks must start at the Vilnius summit 2023.
Moreover, he called for supporting Ukraine’s military with tanks and ensure EU funding now, to avoid hyperinflation. Finally, he suggested seizing Russia’s central bank assets to pay for Ukrainian reconstruction after the war.
Other participants were Peter Egardt (Chairman, Jarl Hjalmarson Foundation, Sweden), Mikuláš Dzurinda (President, Wilfried Martens Centre for European Studies, Slovakia) and Carl Bildt (Former Swedish Prime Minister and Honorary Chairman, Jarl Hjalmarson Foundation)
Gotland - a 🇸🇪 lesson in realism from a peaceful island— Gerald Knaus (@rumeliobserver) October 2, 2022
On Nato, Russian threats & deterrence, the best path to maintain peace here … & elsewhere in Europe, including 🇺🇦.
@sigriddiana @LeonidL @olgatokariuk @CarloMasala1 @Ce_Moll pic.twitter.com/zZ3UZF0D3t
- ESI proposal: “Open EU Single Market to the Balkans”
- ESI: An airlift 2022 for Ukrainians
- ZDF, Markus Lanz from 21 September 2022 (Gerald Knaus on German TV debate show Markus Lanz) , 21 September 2022
- MDR, Migration expert: number of refugees will rise in winter (Radio interview with Gerald Knaus) , 15 September 2022
- Institut für Europäische Politik, #7 UkraineMEMO: Ukraine's EU accession - a project for this generation (Podcast with Gerald Knaus) , 8 September 2022