Warsaw – ESI at ECFR online debate: "Borders of Europe: How can we reconcile values with the need for control?"
ESI’s Gerald Knaus was invited to participate in an online debate organised by ECFR Warsaw: “Borders of Europe: How can we reconcile values with the need for control?”
For the past five years, Europeans failed to answer key questions: what role do borders play in the modern world? Who may cross them? Are we even capable and willing of turning back people seeking a better life? How can we strike a balance between protecting against threats, humanitarian aid and increasingly powerful national egoism?
Gerald spoke about the 2016 EU-Turkey migration statement and its impact and implementation 4 years later. He also focused on the current crisis in EU-Turkey relations. Finally, Gerald presented his recently published book “Welche Grenzen brauchen wir?” (“What borders do we need?”) on the future of asylum and migration policy.
The other speakers were Kristian Brakel (Director Heinrich-Böll-Foundation Istanbul) and Kaja Puto (journalist at Political Critique). The debate touched upon European borders and the EU Commission’s “New Pact on Migration and Asylum”.
- Deutschlandfunk: After the accusation of pushbacks: Frontex and European asylum policy. Radio interview with Gerald Knaus, 10 November 2020
- WDR 5: Gerald Knaus: Refugee policy between empathy and fear, 31 October 2020
- Vorarlberger Nachrichten: Migration expert Knaus: "Moria is certainly a symbol of failure, 28 October 2020
- Phoenix: Gerald Knaus on the situation of refugee camps in the Greek islands, 27 October 2020
- n-tv: Germany to become Canada - Knaus advises special asylum route , 17 October 2020
- ARD: Moria: Where Europe fails?, 14 October 2020
- Die Welt: Refugee camps could be history. Op-ed by Gerald Knaus, 11 October 2020
- Der Spiegel: Interview with migration expert Knaus: "Canada should be a model to us , 10 September 2020
- Kronen Zeitung: Refugee storms: Can 2015 be repeated?, 2 September 2020
- SWR Aktuell Kontext: 5 years of "We can do it". Expert Knaus: EU refugee agreement a great success, 14 August 2020
- Der Spiegel: Kampf gegen Corona: Evakuiert die griechischen Inseln - jetzt!, op-ed by John Dalhuisen and Gerald Knaus, also available in English: The fight against Corona: Evacuate the Greek Islands – Now!, 26 March 2020
- ESI paper: The Aegean Tragedy – Key facts and key steps, 24 Jan 2020
- ESI newsletter: Aegean Plan 2.0 – preventing a disaster in the times of Corona, 20 March 2020
- ESI: www.esiweb.org/refugees