- Contractual relations
- Key European Council conclusions
- Key documents prepared by the Albanian government
- Pre-accession funds
- EU monitoring reports
- Key EU strategy documents
This section offers close to 80 key texts and background documents related to Albania's EU accession process. Key documents on the EU's enlargement process in general can be found in ESI's background document library on EU enlargement.
The major accession process agreements between Albania and the EU:
- European Partnership 2008
- Stabilisation and Association Agreement (SAA signed 12 June 2006, Luxembourg)
- Interim Agreement on Trade (signed 12 June 2006, Luxembourg)
- European Partnership 2006
- European Partnership 2004
The European Council, the highest decision making body of the EU, takes key decisions with regard to EU enlargement. In November 2009, the Council took the hitherto most important decision on Albania's EU accession, asking the European Commission to prepare an opinion on Albania's application for membership.
- Brussels European Council 2973rd General Affairs meeting conclusions inviting the European Commission to prepare its opinion on Albania's application for EU membership (16 November 2009).
Following the European Council's decision to invite the European Commission to prepare an opinion on Albania's membership application, the Commission provided the Albanian government with a 384-page questionnaire in December 2009. The government delivered its answers to 2280 questions on 14 April 2010.
In its opinion, adopted on 9 November 2010, the Commission stated that Albania was not yet ready to start accession negotiations and refrained from proposing to grant it candidate status, a measure it proposed on the same day for neighbouring Montenegro.
A number of strategic documents inform the Albanian government's current efforts to move closer to EU accession (reverse chronological order):
- National Strategy for Development and Integration (NSDI) 2007-2013
- Ministry of EU integration Integrated Plans (EU commitments – in Albanian)
- Action Plan for Public Communication (2008)
- National Plan for the Implementation of the SAA 2007 – 2012 (September 2007)
- Government's Program (2005-2009) (Priorities on Euro-Atlantic Integration are set on page 40 of the Program).
In the EU's 2007-2013 budget cycle all pre-accession programmes were merged into a single mechanism, the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA). The IPA has five components. Potential candidate countries like Albania can only benefit from two of them – general capacity building and cross border cooperation. All five components – the others include regional development, human resources development and rural development – concern only candidate countries.
EC support was previously channelled mainly through the CARDS programme, designed for the Western Balkans in 2000.
INSTRUMENT FOR PRE-ACCESSION ASSISTANCE (IPA)
- EC, Multi-Annual Indicative Planning Document 2011-2013 (All Balkans)
- EC, Multi-Annual Indicative Planning Document 2009-2011 (Albania)
- EC, Multi-Annual Indicative Planning Document 2008-2010 (Albania)
- EC, Multi-Annual Indicative Planning Document 2007-2009 (Albania)
- EC, Council Regulation 718/2007 on the implementation of IPA (12 June 2007)
- EC, Council Regulation 1085/2006 (”IPA regulation”, 17 July 2006)
- DG Enlargement, IPA website
For the multi-annual indicative financial frameworks, including information and financial data on all recipient countries, visit the respective section of ESI's background document library on EU enlargement.
You can find more documents on the two IPA components here in the Albania section of the webpage of DG Enlargement.
COMPONENT I: TRANSITION ASSISTANCE AND INSTITUTION BUILDING
Other programmes and project fiches for the Transition Assistance and Institution Building component can be accessed on the website of DG Enlargement.
COMPONENT II: CROSS-BORDER CO-OPERATION
- 2007 Commission decision, Cross-border programme Albania-Montenegro
- 2010 Commission decision, Cross-border programme Albania-Kosovo
- 2007-2009 Cross-border co-operation programme Albania-Montenegro
- 2007-2009 Cross-border co-operation programme Albania-Macedonia
- 2007-2013 Cross-border co-operation programme Albania-Macedonia
- 2010-2011 Cross-border co-operation programme Albania-Kosovo
Other programmes under the Cross-Border Co-operation component can be found here.
For the European Commission's annual reports on all EU pre-accession funds, click here.
In 2000, various EU assistance programmes for the Western Balkans were streamlined into the Community Assistance for Reconstruction, Development and Stabilisation (CARDS) programme. CARDS was designed to support the Stabilisation and Association process.
- EC, CARDS Multi-annual Indicative Programme 2005-2006, Albania
- EC, CARDS Albania Annual Programme 2005
- EC, CARDS Albania Annual Programme 2004
- EC, CARDS Albania Annual Programme 2003
- EC, CARDS Albania Annual Programme 2002
- EC, CARDS Albania Initial Support programme 2001
- EC, CARDS Albania Support programme 2001 – Taxation
- EC, Country strategy paper 2002-2006, Albania
- EC, CARDS Regulation (2000)
All official Commission reports on Albania prepared by DG Enlargement:
- EC, Progress Report on Albania 2013 (16 October 2013)
- EC, Progress Report on Albania 2012 (10 October 2012)
- EC, Progress Report on Albania 2011 (12 October 2011)
- EC, Progress Report on Albania 2010 (9 November 2010)
- EC, Progress Report on Albania 2009 (14 October 2009)
- EC, Progress report on Albania 2008 (5 November 2008)
- EC, Progress report on Albania 2007 (6 November 2007)
- EC, Progress report on Albania 2006 (8 November 2006)
- EC, Progress report on Albania 2005 (9 November 2005)
Since 2005 Albania and all other candidate / potential candidate countries have been included in the European Commission's annual strategy paper on EU Enlargement.
- EC, Enlargement Strategy Paper 2013 (16 October 2013)
- EC, Enlargement Strategy Paper 2012 (10 October 2012)
- EC, Enlargement Strategy Paper 2011 (12 October 2011)
- EC, Enlargement Strategy Paper 2010 (9 November 2010)
- EC, Enlargement Strategy Paper 2009 (14 October 2009)
- EC, Enlargement Strategy Paper 2008 (5 November 2008)
- EC, Enlargement Strategy Paper 2007 (6 November 2007)
- EC, Enlargement Strategy Paper 2006 (8 November 2006)
- EC, Enlargement Strategy Paper 2005 (9 November 2005)
- The Albanian Ministry of European Integration provides a range of information and key political documents related to Albania's EU accession process
- The Albania country page of the European Commission's DG Enlargement website offers detailed information on the EC's programmes in Albania
- For other questions related to Albanian state institutions visit the official website of the Albanian Prime Minister and the Government
- The website of the Bank of Albania offers regular reviews of Albania's economy