Geneva – ESI at background discussion on a global refugee protection system
ESI’s Gerald Knaus was invited by the Konrad Adenauer Stiftung in Geneva to give a presentation on „Crisis and Rebirth — A Global Refugee Protection System for the 21st Century.“ Gerald spoke about the current debate on migration, the situation of refugees and the crisis in Afghanistan, and outlined ESI’s proposal for a new, humane approach on borders and asylum. He warned of the dangers of pushbacks at the EU’s borders and called for more resettlement initiatives.
Participants included representatives from IOM, IDIM, UNHCR, WHO, OHCR, ICRC, UNICEF, as well as from various European missions to the UN, as well as journalists from across Europe.
- Humane Borders - www.humaneborders.eu
- Welche Grenzen brauchen wir? - www.grenzen.eu
- ESI Newsletter: Essay 1 - The promise and the agony – saving the refugee convention
- Der Spiegel: When military interventions work. An essay by Gerald Knaus , 31 August 2021
- Berliner Zeitung: There is no million-strong ghost army coming to Europe , 18 August 2021
- RTL: Migration researcher does not see a wave of refugees from Afghanistan: "We must not panic" , 31 July 2021
- Deutschlandfunk: 70 Years of the Geneva Refugee Convention: "The fear of mass migration is completely irrational." 28 July 2021