Gotland – ESI at Visby Conference: “Challenges, cooperation, confrontation – global and regional dilemmas”
ESI’s Gerald Knaus was invited to give a presentation and to moderate a discussion panel on Afghanistan at the annual Visby Conference under the topic “Challenges, Cooperation, Confrontation – Global and Regional Dilemmas.”
Gerald spoke about how to move towards a Europe whole, free and at peace, with humane borders and without political prisoners. He also stressed the importance of the migration debate for the future of Europe and why humane borders and the respect for human rights are crucial.
The other speaker on the panel were Jüri Luik (Ambassador to NATO and former Estonian Minister of Defence) and Kurt Volker (distinguished Fellow, Center for European Policy Analysis).
After the conference Gerald had meetings in Stockholm at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and with the Head of the European Commission’s representation in Sweden, Christian Danielsson.
He also met with Carl Bildt, Prime Minister of Sweden in the 1990s and High Representative in Bosnia and Hercegovina.
- Humane Borders - www.humaneborders.eu
- Welche Grenzen brauchen wir? - www.grenzen.eu
- ESI Newsletter: Essay 1 - The promise and the agony – saving the refugee convention
- ESI Newsletter: Slovenia, Serbia and an EU-Balkan breakthrough in 2021(March 2021)
- Deutschlandfunk: Migration researcher Knaus: "Situation for refugees today completely different than in 2015 , 1 September 2021
- Der Spiegel: When military interventions work. An essay by Gerald Knaus , 31 August 2021
- Berliner Zeitung: There is no million-strong ghost army coming to Europe , 18 August 2021
- RTL: Migration researcher does not see a wave of refugees from Afghanistan: "We must not panic" , 31 July 2021
- Deutschlandfunk: 70 Years of the Geneva Refugee Convention: "The fear of mass migration is completely irrational." 28 July 2021