1 November 2008: The vacancy was closed for application and the selection is in progress.
ESI is looking for a senior analyst for the Balkans. The successful candidate will be based in the region, following developments and conducting thorough field research on specific topics. He or she will draft reports, op-eds and texts for the website, edit written material and liaise with political actors in the region.
- Thorough knowledge of the political, social and economic situation in the Balkans, in particular the Western Balkans
- A minimum of five years’ professional experience in international agencies, journalism, think-tanks, NGOs and/or academia, preferable dealing with the Balkans and requiring analytical skills
- Proven record of first-rate English writing and editing skills (level of a native English speaker)
- Excellent communications skills, including public presentation skills
- Willingness to be based in the Balkans and to travel extensively within and outside the region
- Knowledge of one of the regional languages highly desirable
- Ability to work independently, to meet demanding deadlines and to produce reports as a joint team effort
- Preparedness to start working for ESI swiftly following the selection
- Follow developments in the wider Balkan region (in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia, and, to a lesser extent, in Croatia, Bulgaria and Romania)
- Conduct thorough, in-depth research on specific topics that can range from issues of economic development to security sector reform and inter-ethnic relations
- Produce background documents on research results with interview transcripts/summaries, excerpts from relevant documents and literature, and other findings
- Draft reports, op-eds and texts for the ESI website as well other written products (some independently, others as part of team work)
- Provide comments on, and edit, written products of others
- Liaise with local and international actors, including governments, international organisations and NGOs
- Attend conferences as required
Applications should include a CV, a letter detailing why the candidate would like to work with ESI and which experience qualifies him for the position, and contact details for three referees.
Please email applications by 31 October 2008 to firstname.lastname@example.org.