Gerald Knaus was invited to speak at a panel at a conference organised by the Turkish Ministry for EU Affairs on "Rethinking Global Challenges: Constructing a Common Future for Turkey and the EU". Gerald gave a presentation on "Mutual interests, trust and how to cut the knot of Turkey-EU visa liberalisation". Other speakers on the panel included:
- Chair: Dr. Günter Verheugen, Former Vice President of the European Commission
- Prof. Fuat Keyman, Director of Istanbul Policy Center, Sabancı University
- Nora Fisher Onar, Assist. Prof. Bahcesehir University
- Vasco Cal, Bureau of European Policy Advisers of the European Commission (BEPA)
- Dr. F. H. Burak Erdenir, Deputy Undersecretary, Ministry for EU Affairs
Other speakers at the conference included Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Prime Minister of Republic of Turkey, Carl Bildt, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Sweden, Stefan Füle, European Commissioner Responsible for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy, and Selim Yenel, Permanent Representative of Turkey to the EU, among others.